ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
GRASSROOTS India is a non-profit organization established as Trust in 2004. It aims at strengthening the capacities of grassroots communities and organizations for achieving self-reliance, human rights, gender equity, social justice, accountable governance, and sustainable development. Being operational principally in Uttar Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh, Bihar, Madhya Pradesh and Delhi, the organization focuses on the following Program (Thematic) Areas:
# Investing in Human Development
# Livelihoods & Food Security
# Governance & Rights Accountability
# Disaster & Emergency Response
# Communication for Empowerment [*]
With the co-funding of EUROPEAN COMMISSION, ISLAMIC RELIEF WORLDWIDE (UK), the GRASSROOTS India and OFFER have been implementing a project focusing girl child education in Meerut, Moradabad and Aligarh districts of Western Uttar Pradesh. The project seeks to appoint PROJECT COORDINATORS on ‘Contract Basis’. Details of the project and the post are given as follows.
CONCISE DETAILS OF THE PROJECT
Improving Education Amongst Underprivileged Communities in Urban Poverty Zones of Western Uttar Pradesh, India
The project addresses the under-served populations of disadvantaged urban poor communities where the formal schooling system has failed in attracting the girl children due to social and cultural complexities. The project directly complements the government’s Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA) in target districts and contributes towards achievement of Millennium Development Goals (MDGs):
a) Goal 2: Achieve Universal Primary Education: Project is to ensure that all boys and girls complete a full course of primary schooling
b) Goal 3: Promote gender equality and empower women: The project aims to close the access gap for education to the girl children, and it is working towards gender equality and the empowerment of women.
To complement and contribute to the SSA, by mobilizing key stakeholders, establishing community education committees and alternative education units and strengthening formal education structures to help increase access, support mainstreaming; improve retention levels and completion of schooling by children, particularly girls, from disadvantaged minority communities living in 3 urban districts of Western Uttar Pradesh: (1) Meerut, (2) Aligarh, (3) Moradabad.
Main Groups of Activities:
A) Mobilization, Participation and Capacity Building of Stakeholders
B) Education of the poor girl children through alternative education units (AEUs)
C) Increasing the Enrolment of poor girl children in formal schools
D) Strengthening the formal schools and education system
E) General education of girls on health, sanitation and gender justice
F) Monitoring, Documentation and Dissemination
DETAILS OF THE RECRUITMENT
Name of Post: PROJECT COORDINATOR
Number of Posts: 1-2
Location of Placement: Moradabad/Aligarh
Intended Roles & Responsibilities:
- Preparation of monthly and quarterly plans of activities integrating the workable strategies and financial budgets
- Implementation and coordination of all activities as per plans in the designated field areas between target communities, formal schools, government agencies, and other stakeholders
- Coordination and supervision of 5 alternative education units (AEUs) in each district
- Facilitation, guidance and mentoring of 10 AEU Facilitators in each district
- Documentation of the processes side by side the implementation of planned activities
- Compilation and writing of monthly and quarterly progress reports with the financial statements
- Completion of all administrative and financial requirements meant for effective implementation of the project
- Building rapport, relations and network with variety of stakeholders/people in the district and state
- Mobilization of the resources within the district and state that supplement the girl child education in poverty zones
- Networking with various forms of media, NGOs and related departments existing in the district/region and the state
- Assisting in the monitoring of the project implementation and emergence of learnings
- Delivering other relevant activities meant for success of the project and betterment of the organization
The Project Coordinator will work intensively with the AEU Facilitators and report to Project Manager and Project Director. During the tenure of the project, the Project Coordinator will have to comply with the applicable provisions of the Child Protection Policy, HR Procedures & Policy, Financial Management Procedures & Guidelines, Transparency & Accountability Policy, IT Policy and General Code of Ethics adopted by GRASSROOTS India.
A fixed gross remuneration of Rs. 15000 p.m. will be paid to the Project Coordinator.
Eligibility & Qualifications:
- Male or female applicants must be Postgraduate in Social Science, Education, Communication or allied studies.
- Minimum 3 year field experience of working in urban communities is essential. Applicants having experience of any of the target cities (Moradabad, Aligarh, Meerut) will gain advantage.
- Good communication and supervision skills are mandatory.
- Command on Urdu and Hindi languages
- Familiarity with minority communities and their socio-cultural needs
- Problem solving skills
- Flexible, patient and committed
- Ability to work on your own initiative and as part of the team
- Good IT skills
- Energetic and able to operate in situations which may be arduous
- No serious illness
Only shortlisted candidates will be informed and called for INTERVIEW to be held in Delhi. No reimbursement of TA/DA will be paid to those who would be called for Interview. Out of interviewed candidates, 1-2 candidate will be finalized and intimated to join the project on specified date(s). The decision of Recruitment Committee will be final and cannot be challenged.
The selected candidate will be asked to sign a written bi-lateral contract for 12 months of work integrating 6 months probation period (subject to successful completion). On completion of first 12 months, the contract will be renewed for next year based on the satisfactory performance of the personnel. Performance review will be conducted on quarterly or half-yearly basis.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should apply strictly on prescribed APPLICATION FORM available at http://www.grassroots.org.in/catalogue/ApplicationForm-Recruitment-PC.doc . Before filling in the prescribed Application Form, please read carefully the Guidelines-for-Applicants available at http://www.grassroots.org.in/catalogue/Guidelines-for-Applicants.doc .
Applications can be sent only by e-mail to GRASSROOTS India at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Deadline of application is 25 June 2010.
Interview will be held toward the end of June 2010.
We follow the ‘Equal Opportunity Employment’ and ‘Social Inclusion’ principles!